Today Jia went to the dentist for the first time. I scheduled this appointment before we went to China because many children who are adopted from China have a lot of dental problems. Dental care is not something that orphanages can afford. Thankfully, Jia's teeth looked great and we didn't expect any problems and Dr. Jackson didn't see any problem areas. Praise God!
I tried to explain to her where we were going and the fear in her eyes told me that she understood something about it. When we got in the waiting room she got tense but settled down when she got to play with the toys. When they called us back she got very nervous and put the death grip on me. We talked with the hygenist and then went back to the waiting room. I think at this point Jia thought she had escaped so when we went back the 2nd time she started crying immediately.
Dr. Jackson is wonderful. She talks very quietly and explains everything. She then let Jia sit in my lap with her head in the dentist's lap (Lillie Mei still does it this way as well) while she cleans her teeth. I had to hold Jia's hands and the assistant had to hold her feet because she was kicking me so much. I felt so bad for her but the whole thing lasted about 5 minutes. As soon as it was over I picked her up and she got some water and quit crying. She then got to pick a prize; she picked a little basketball. Then she got a sticker and a "pencil case type" bag with ther toothbrush, toothpaste, and floss in it. She was so proud of that bag! She put her sticker and ball in it and walked out into the waiting room and stuck it in her siblings' faces one at a time and said, "This is mine!" It was so cute. I thought Lillie Mei might have fussed because she didn't have one but I think she thought if she asked for one she might have to go back there and see the dentist too.
We then went to get ice cream (don't tell the dentist) and she took her bag in there and showed it to everyone and said, "This is mine!" She has carried it everywhere as if it is her badge of courage!
The dentist office took this picture just as we went back the first time. You can see the concern in her eyes. I will try to take one tomorrow with her bag.
Tuesday, August 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment