Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Three Steps Foward, Two Steps Back

Today started out great with everyone excited about Jia coming to stay with us in the Ronald McDonald House tonight.  Even though no one slept well last night, everyone was going off the adrenaline of knowing we were almost done. Throw in the fact that I was able to get my mom's and my sister's airline tickets refunded late last night and I was almost giddy.  I gladly put the sheets from the oh so comfortable "sleeper sofa" in the dirty laundry and packed up everything I could.

Around 11:00  I decided to go see if the nurse had an estimated time that we might be leaving so I could decide if I wanted to go take a shower.  That's when Harrison came down the hall to tell us, "There is blood running down Jia's leg."  Huh?  That doesn't sound good.  The nurse came in, called another nurse, who called someone from urology, who called someone else from urology, who called our doctor, Dr. Alam.  Remember it's July 4th--I didn't expect to see Dr. Alam.  All this time, Jia is in the bed with a decent amount of blood in her diaper and it's still coming out from around he catheter.  Thankfully, Dr. Alam was very calm (as he always is) and told the urology guys (fellows, residents, attendings--I don't know who they were) exactly what to do.  They flushed the catheter and took a specimen for the lab.

Dr. Alam expects that she has some kind of infection in her bladder.  We won't know the results until Friday.  The infection caused a blood clot which stopped up the catheter and then the rest of the blood had to go somewhere so out it came.  Jia was beside her self with fear this entire time.  She was so scared she was going to have to have surgery again.  She cried and cried.  I felt so bad for her and I couldn't promise that she wouldn't so I just held her hand and tried to get her to breathe.  We expect to stay in the hospital until at least tomorrow afternoon, probably Friday.  At that point they will let us know if we can go all the way home or if we need to stay in the area for a while longer.

It was a long, hard day, one we didn't expect but God was still there with us.  You see if we had been discharged just an hour earlier she wouldn't have had her PICC line still in, she would have had another IVput in--she HATES needles.  An hour earlier and we wouldn't have been patients, we would've had to be admitted again.  An hour earlier and we would've been across the street with no nurses, no doctors, and one slightly freaked out mother. God was definitely there watching out for Jia and I know He will continue to be there every step of the way.

Thank you for all of your continued prayers and support.  We love you all!

1 comments:

Paige said...

Poor baby!!!!! I'm so sorry and so very thankful you all had not been released yet!!! Praying for your sweet family!

Post a Comment